God. He has many servants. He has many sons and daughters. But God has few friends. At least as we can conceive in our minds what could be a few to God. But in the great scope of humanity God has but few who could even qualify as his friends. God chooses his friends wisely.
By nature, all prophets should be friends of God. But sadly that is not always the case. Not all prophets are even in the will of God. Jonah who ran from God would probably fall into that category of prophet that had a strained relationship with the Father. But this is just a speculation.
Abraham was called God’s friend. He was from our point of view far from perfect. But he had faith. Faith is a requirement if you’re going to be a friend of God. God expects his friends to trust him. Abraham by the way was also called a prophet. But that exceeds the point.
So here are some facts about friendship with God. The Bible declares in Genesis 18, Isaiah 41:8 and in James 2:23 that Abraham was a friend of God.
In John 15:12-15 Jesus called his disciples friends. He said I call you friends because I share everything with you. I don’t keep any secrets from you.
IN Amos 3:7 God indicates that the prophets are in fact his friends because he entrusts his secrets with his prophets.
IN Romans 5:10-11 We are able to ‘joy’ in God because the enmity is broken by the blood of Jesus. IN other words, we can enjoy fellowship with God because now we can be friends with God.
One important key point in seeking friendship with God. You must be spiritual minded. God does not like those who are of a carnal mind. We see this is Romans 8. Take time to read this chapter. It takes on a whole new light when read in the context of being a friend of God.
So here are some important and interesting points about friendship with God.
1. Friendship with God is possible. That’s right, it’s a possible, attainable goal.
2. Friendship with God has it’s advantages. Consider the most powerful being in the universe being your friend. It is staggering to think about isn’t it.
3. Friendship with God is not natural, it’s supernatural. God is a spirit and to be in a relationship with him will always be a supernatural experience.
4. Friendship with God requires a commitment.
5. Friendship with God requires you keep his secrets in confidence. As a friend of God, he will share things that he doesn’t want shared with others.
6. Friendship with God requires faith.
7. God chooses his friends wisely.
Here are some keys to being friends with God:
1. Be humble. Humility is a big thing with God.
2. Make a commitment to being his friend.
3. Seek his face. Look for opportunities to be intimate with God. Worship and prayer are keys to seeking time with God.
4. Take time to read the Bible. Get to know God by his word.
5. Have faith in God. Learn to trust him inn all things.
6. Have a forgiving heart.
7. Love others. Learn to emulate his character.
In conclusion we see that friendship with God is an amazing journey for those who are brave enough to peruse it. . If you seek friendship with God you will be amazed at how he reciprocates.
Filled Under: Christianity Posted on: November 14, 2015